Chili-Rubbed Steak & Bread Salad Recipe
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1. Mix chili powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper; rub over steak. Let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, toss bread cubes with oil. In a large skillet, toast bread over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, whisk salad dressing, horseradish and mustard.
- 3. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion and toasted bread. Add 1/2 cup dressing mixture; toss to coat. Slice steak; serve with salad and remaining dressing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 434 calories, 30 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.