- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients; stir well. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until rice is tender. Stir in cheese during the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Chili Rice Casserole
"I thought this recipe was anything BUT gooey and bland. I used brown rice and because I forgot to get onions, I substituted 1 1/2 t. onion powder. Still came out great but next time I want to use regular onions. :-) I was expecting there to be more liquid (like regular chili) but maybe with "casserole" in the name, there isn't supposed to be. Will definitely make again. Avery"
"This was absolutely wonderful! I only had mild Italian sausage, so used that. So easy! So many complements! I will cut the salt to 1/2 t. next time. Everything else I will keep the same."
"excellent recipe, definitely would make again. I used ground beef and my DH added some salsa (medium) to it for a little zip---great!!! Thanks for sharing."
"It was a gooy mess....tasteless and bland"
"tried this one yesterday---very good--hubby loved it--I did add chips in last---oh my it was tasty---thank you"