Chili Rellenos Sandwiches
Since I retired over 20 years ago, I don't cook as much anymore, but I love to make these zippy sandwiches.—Gladys Hill, Quilin, Missouri
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 6 slices white bread
- 3 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salsa, optional
- Mash green chilies with a fork; spread over three slices of bread.
- Top with cheese and remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs
- and milk until blended.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Dip
- both sides of sandwich in egg mixture. Place in skillet; toast 2-3
- minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. If desired, serve with
- salsa. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 388 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 194 mg cholesterol, 713 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.