Chili Rellenos Sandwiches
Since I retired over 20 years ago, I don't cook as much anymore, but I love to make these zippy sandwiches.Gladys Hill, Quilin, Missouri
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 6 slices bread
- 3 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- Salsa, optional
- Mash chilies with a fork; spread on three slices of bread. Top with
- cheese and remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk;
- dip the sandwiches.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Cook sandwiches
- until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted, adding
- additional butter if necessary. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield:
- 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 388 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 194 mg cholesterol, 713 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.