My husband loves hamburgers and Mexican food, so I combined the two to create this zesty sandwich. Garnish these dressed-up burgers with sliced avocados if you like. —Darlene Wilkinson, Quilcene, Washington
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole green chilies, drained and halved
- 4 slices Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 sandwich buns, split
- Sour cream
- Shape beef into four patties. In a skillet over medium heat, brown patties on both sides. Top each with onion, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Top each patty with chilies and a slice of cheese. Cover and cook 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. In a small bowl, combine salsa and ketchup. Place burgers on buns; serve with the salsa mixture and sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chili Rellenos Burgers in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p49
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chili Rellenos Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review