Chili Relleno Casserole
The traditional recipe for chili relleno takes more time to prepare than this casserole version.—Joan Schroeder, Pinedale, Wyoming
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add the green pepper, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Cook
- until green pepper is tender. Combine cheddar and Monterey Jack
- cheeses; set aside.
- In a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half each of meat mixture, chilies
- and cheese; repeat with remaining meat mixture, chilies and cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the egg, cream and flour; pour over
- cheese layer.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cover with tomato