Chili Potpies Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, brown sugar and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; heat, uncovered, while preparing crust.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in butter and enough milk to form a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. circle. Using an inverted 10-oz. baking dish as a guide, score four circles. Cut out circles. Cut a small circle in the center of each pastry (discard or reroll cutouts and use as decoration).
- 3. Coat four 10-oz. baking dishes with cooking spray. Fill with chili; top each with a dough circle. Tuck in edges of dough to seal. Bake at 375° for 13-17 minutes or until edges of crust are lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
1 potpie equals 354 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 930 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.