Chili Potpies Recipe
Welcome your family in from the cold with these individual potpies. The L&T Test Kitchen created a simple corn bread crust that perfectly complements a filling of tangy chili.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, brown sugar and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; heat, uncovered, while preparing crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in butter and enough milk to form a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. circle. Using an inverted 10-oz. baking dish as a guide, score four circles. Cut out circles. Cut a small circle in the center of each pastry (discard or reroll cutouts and use as decoration).
- Coat four 10-oz. baking dishes with cooking spray. Fill with chili; top each with a dough circle. Tuck in edges of dough to seal. Bake at 375° for 13-17 minutes or until edges of crust are lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chili Potpies in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p42
Reviews for Chili Potpies(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2009
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2009
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2008
This is very good. I cheated though and used low-fat Bisquick as a topping as well as adding mushrooms. I needed to continue to add water at intervals because the vegetables didn't cook quick enough with draining the tomatoes.
More Recipe Collections
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Chili Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Chili Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Recipes >