Chili Pepper Cookies Recipe
Cut out to look like their namesake, these cookies were sweet treats at the celebration. We used a favorite recipe that makes a tender, slightly soft sugar cookies. By tinting the frosting and adding some colored sugar sprinkles, these can be decorated with out a lot of fuss. They really say "fiesta".—Terri Newton, Marshall, Texas
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Green and red gel food coloring
- Green and red colored sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll and pat out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. chili pepper shaped cookies cutter.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Tint 1/3 cup green; set aside. Tint remaining frosting red. Frost "peppers" red and "stems" green; sprinkle with matching sugar. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Chili Pepper Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC