Chili Macaroni Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, garlic, chili powder, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture. Stir in pickle relish; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
1-3/4 cups: 314 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 974mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Chili Macaroni
"I did like this meal and my boyfriend commented saying it was very good. Unfortunately I spaced on measuring out the beans and I just put the whole can in after I drained them (oops!) I used chili beans instead since that was what I had and I think it tasted fine with them. Next time I'll remember to measure out the beans since I didn't get to enjoy the macaroni as much. Any suggestions on things to add to kick up the flavor?"
"It was very bland... I put some of my Tastefully Simple Wahoo chili mix in it and it was better but I wont make again with just this recipe. Also I topped with cheese :)"
"I cooked the macaroni in beef stock rather than water; a lot more flavor. Also used V-8 juice, didn't have tomato, came out fine. Also, use a little more garlic (my husband likes garlic a lot."
"My mom used to make this and she called it "Slum Gullen". I have made it for years and the family always loved it. We use chilli seasoning, a can of sweet corn and dont drain the beans. Very affordable meal."
"I really hate to do this because I have never given any TOH recipe anything less than 5 stars but this was very bland. The only thing I left out of this was the sweet pickle relish because we don't care for it. Maybe that was the problem? If I were to make this again, I would use a packet of McCormick's chili seasoning rather than the seasonings that are called for in this recipe."
"My mom used to make this for us when we were kids, I havent had it for years! Its fantastic & so good on a cold day. I'm orginally from Ulysses, NE, right down the road from David City!"