- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with sliced green onions. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Chili Mac Casserole
"I have to say this dish is amazing, tasty, love it. Been cooking a long time, but this has a wonderful kick."
"Easy to fix and such good flavors...will make again."
"Good flavor. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough on hand to make the full amount. I substituted the elbow macaroni with whole grain penne and black beans for the kidney beans. Unfortunately I did not have the green chiles either, but it all turned out good anyways. Probably would have been 5 star if I made it as the recipe stated. Will make again."
"This has become a family favorite!!!"
"Very good recipe, easy to through together. I completely forgot to add the green chilies I don't think I would have liked them anyway. Next time I will add Del Monte Fiesta Corn to the dish! My husband and I really enjoyed this."
"A good weeknight meal"
"My three boys loved this! We used crushed tomatoes instead of diced, ground turkey instead of beef and we only had 1/4 cup of Mexican cheese, so we supplemented with Mozzarella and it was still delicious! The boys were asking for seconds! This is a keeper."
"We love this dish. I drain the diced tomatoes and replace the juice with enchilada sauce. It gives it a different flavor."
"This was great! I added 2 more cans of chili beans w/sauce, seasoned it well with extra garlic powder, seasoned salt and ground red pepper. This filled up my large crock pot, on high for 2 hours, topped with the shredded cheese at the serving line, and the dish was practically licked clean at our church luncheon. Wonderful comfort food during the cold midwest fall days!"
"Our family loved this! It was so easy to throw together. I will be making this often."