- 2 packages (7-1/4 ounces each) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Set aside cheese packets from dinner mixes. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook and stir beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, tomato sauce and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture. Stir in contents of cheese packets, sour cream and 1 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChili Mac & Cheese
"This is a wonderful way to use boxed mac & cheese to create a very budget friendly dinner the kids just love! My kids gobbled this up, and didn't complain about having left overs the next day. So it reheats pretty well. This is tasty, kid friendly, and cheap. I give it 4 out of 5 stars only because it's not the most nutritious meal. Tons of calories and fat, not to mention high in sodium. But for a once in awhile "I'm in a pinch" kind of dinner, it's perfect!"
"Excellent meal! I halved the recipe for just the two of us, and have plenty for another meal. My husband is thrilled. I added some fresh diced jalapeno because we love spicy, and a few crushed chips on the top, but other than that I made as the recipe stated. quick to put together and so delicious!"
"this makes a TON of food - you can parcel it out and take to lunch for a week. comfort food carbs and protein"
"Great recipe. Had all the kids and grandkids over and it was a hit with all. The recipe is a keeper."
"This really just did not do this for us!"
"Fantastic and super easy!"
"This was so easy to make and every time i have friends over for this dinner i have to make extra so they can take some home!This is a keeper for sure!!!"
"I made this while watching my friends daughter. everyone liked it so much, my friends daughter had 3 helpings. I sent some home with her, and they finished it off the next day. very easy, too."
"Simple,easy and delicious!"