- 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 tostada shells
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- Optional ingredients: Shredded cabbage, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, sliced ripe olives and guacamole
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken and onion. In a small bowl, combine the green chilies, lime juice, chili powder and garlic; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Set aside 2/3 cup cooking juices. Discard remaining juices. Shred chicken with two forks and return to slow cooker. Stir in reserved cooking juices.
- Spread tostadas with refried beans; top with chicken. Layer with cabbage, cheese, salsa, sour cream, olives and guacamole if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chili-Lime Chicken Tostadas
"I didn't discard any of the juice and items cooked with meat - just mixed it back in for flavor."
"Although 4 pounds of chicken seems like a lot for 5 servings, we?ve found that you lose over half the weight once it?s cooked and the bones are removed. So for this recipe you end up with about 2 pounds of cooked chicken, which would serve about 5 people."
"Not a lot of flavor. Might help to add more 'heat' and perhaps salsa verde."
"I started to make this but I think there is a correction needed here, the Yield says "5 servings" but the recipe calls for 4 pounds of chicken."
"Sounds delish, but 4 pounds of chicken sounds like an awful lot proportionately to the quantity of other ingredients. Should this be 4 breasts???"