- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound each beef stew meat, boneless skinless chicken breast and boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 9 large hard rolls
- Sour cream, chopped green onions and sweet red pepper, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add meat in batches; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Stir in onion, peppers, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Cut tops off rolls; carefully hollow out bottom halves. Spoon about 1 cup of chili into each roll. Garnish with sour cream, onions and red pepper if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Chili in Bread Bowls
"I use pinto beans instead of navy beans or great northern beans. People in the Southwest like pinto beans not navy beans or great northern beans. Also I added New Mexico Chili, which we are known for growing the nations best. My guest loved it. I serve it either in the fall or winter."
"I don't like chili usually but this chili is amazing. I used the bread bowls and it was a hit with my kids and fiance. I will definitely be making this again."
"My boyfriend liked the different variety of meats. I didn't use bread bowls or onions, but it was still very good! Kind of a lot to put together for chili, but it was worth it."
"Very good chili, will definitely make again."
"All I have to say about this one, is DELICIOUS! We loved it, and I took some leftovers to work and the boss loved it too! :D Very meaty, the way a good chili should be!"
"Was looking for a chili with a variety of meats. Great recipe!"
"I try to limit my red meat intake. I substituted the read meat for ground turkey and omitted the pork. It turned out well, I also got the bread bowls from Panera bread for .65 apiece."
"Thank you for posting this recipe. It was exactly what I was looking for. Delicious!"
"This is good chili."