Chili in Bread Bowls Recipe
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound each beef stew meat, boneless skinless chicken breast and boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 9 large hard rolls
- Sour cream, chopped green onions and sweet red pepper, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add meat in batches; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Stir in onion, peppers, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Cut tops off rolls; carefully hollow out bottom halves. Spoon about 1 cup of chili into each roll. Garnish with sour cream, onions and red pepper if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Chili in Bread Bowls
Sort By :
I use pinto beans instead of navy beans or great northern beans. People in the Southwest like pinto beans not navy beans or great northern beans. Also I added New Mexico Chili, which we are known for growing the nations best. My guest loved it. I serve it either in the fall or winter.
I don't like chili usually but this chili is amazing. I used the bread bowls and it was a hit with my kids and fiance. I will definitely be making this again.
My boyfriend liked the different variety of meats. I didn't use bread bowls or onions, but it was still very good! Kind of a lot to put together for chili, but it was worth it.
Very good chili, will definitely make again.
All I have to say about this one, is DELICIOUS! We loved it, and I took some leftovers to work and the boss loved it too! :D Very meaty, the way a good chili should be!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Chili Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chili >
- Slow Cooker Chili Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Pork Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >