Chili in a Bread Bowl Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- BREAD BOWL:
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1. In a saucepan, brown beef with onion; drain. Add next five ingredients; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Grease a 9-in. heart-shaped or round baking pan; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour, Parmesan and baking powder; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; beat in eggs, one at a time. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Spread into prepared pan, building up edges slightly. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until the center is firm and puffed and edges are golden brown. Make a shallow slit in the center to allow steam to escape. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a serving plate. Fill with chili; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 472 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 899mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Chili in a Bread Bowl
"I have made this every valentines day for my family for years. They love the chili and the bread bowl. Both are very easy."
"This has become my regular chili recipe ever since I saw it in the TOH cookbook, except I have never made the bread bowl. I have made the chili many times. I use two cans of beans and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. This chili is simple and very good. It can also be cooked in the crockpot all day."