- In a blender, combine the oil, 2 tablespoons seasoned beer jalapeno
- pepper, reserved chilies, and remaining seasoning mix; cover and
- process until a smooth thick paste forms, adding additional seasoned
- beer if necessary.
- Loosen skin from around the chicken breast, thighs and legs. Rub the
- chili paste under the skin. Tuck wing tips behind the back. Rub any
- remaining paste into the body and neck cavities. Sprinkle chicken
- with reserved seasoning mix.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Poke additional
- holes in top of the empty can with a can opener. Pour the remaining
- 3/4 cup beer into the can. Holding the chicken with legs pointed
- down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium
- heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from can. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave oven. When handling chilies, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.