Chili for a Crowd Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans or 4 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, sliced and halved
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 fresh banana peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. In an 8-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 20-24 servings (6 quarts).
1 cup: 207 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Chili for a Crowd
"Great recipe. Tried it when needing to cook for a large group of college students. Varied it up by subbing salami for kielbasa, pre-cooked soy beans for canned kidney beans, a pint of stout beer for water, doubled the coffee, tripled the cayenne pepper and added 1 heaping tbsp chili powder in place of pepper flakes. Turned out sweeter than I expected but it was enjoyed by all.Only recommendation would be to change serving size. For a group of college kids I'd say this'd feed maybe 10-15 comfortably. Adding loaves of bread on the side, 1.5x this recipe should be enough for 20 people. Still, great recipe, thanks Lisa!"
"Made this recipe for an open house over a year ago....We are hosting another one and people are asking if I'll be making that chili again. Definately a keeper and more then enough to go around!"
"I made this recipe with a few of my own additions and won first place in a chli contest! It has so many layers of flavor, you won't ever get tired of eating this chili."