- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black paste food coloring
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) fat-free vegetarian chili
- 1 tablespoon process cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, eggs and food coloring just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut top fourth off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Set aside 1/4 cup pepper mixture. Stir chili into remaining pepper mixture; heat through. Spoon 2-1/2 to 3 cups chili mixture into bread coffin; arrange reserved pepper mixture over chili. Replace bread top. Transfer remaining chili to a serving bowl.
- Place cheese sauce in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Write "RIP" with cheese sauce, then repeat with ketchup. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Chili-Filled Coffin
Sort By :
Very cool presentation! My husband was iffy about it but ended up loving it! i added a jar of cheese dip to the table and it was a hit! would never make it without having some cheese sauce to drizzle over my servings!
I would use dark rye loaf bread...cut the same way as the recipe decorated the same....this is a very good idea, and I will use it for other dishes besides the chilli...thank you for sharing...Thunder
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cornbread Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >
- Simple Chili Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Vegetarian Recipes >