Chili Dogs Recipe
I got the recipe for the hearty sauce more than 20 years ago from an aunt who lived in Chicago. We love it at home or on a picnic.—Linda Rainey, Monahans, Texas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomato paste, chili powder, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Keep hot until serving.
- 2. Grill or broil hot dogs until heated through. Place on buns; top with chili. Sprinkle with onion and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 390 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,184 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC