- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the cornmeal, sugar, egg, oil, chili powder, salt, and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge, starting with wide end. Place on greased baking sheet; curve into a crescent shape. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chili Cornmeal Crescents in Reminisce July/August 1998, p45
Reviews for Chili Cornmeal Crescents
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2012
"These were very good with the exception of I could not taste much of the chili. Could have been my chili powder. I will try a chili paste next time. Will make again. Great with a steaming hot bowl of Chili."