Chili Corn Muffins
Hot corn bread was one of my childhood favorites. This muffin version with a Southwest flavor that I devised is now my and my husband's favorite.
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder,
- salt and chili powder. In a small bowl, beat the eggs; add milk,
- oil, onion and chilies. Stir into dry ingredients just until
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Serve warm.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.