Chili Corn Bread Recipe
Our daughter made this recipe for a 4-H food show and won a blue ribbon. It's so simple to prepare, even on hurried, hectic days. We like to eat these squares with sour cream and salsa. - Tracy Johnson, Canyon, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1. Sprinkle a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal; set aside. In a bowl, combine the salt, baking soda and remaining cornmeal.
- 2. In another bowl, beat eggs; add corn, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Layer with beef, cheese, chilies and onion. Top with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 420 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 824 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC