Chili Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1. Sprinkle a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal; set aside. In a bowl, combine the salt, baking soda and remaining cornmeal.
- 2. In another bowl, beat eggs; add corn, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Layer with beef, cheese, chilies and onion. Top with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Chili Corn Bread can be served warm or cold. Pack some squares for a deliciously different brown bag lunch.
1 piece: 420 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.