Chili Corn Bread Salad Recipe
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch rubbed sage
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Stir in chilies, cumin, oregano and sage. Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dressing mix; set aside. Crumble half of the corn bread into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Layer with half of the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers (dish will be very full). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chili Corn Bread Salad
"I've made this for years. My family of 4 boys grew up eating it, and still love it today. It's a great summertime dish or for anytime. I can't leave it alone! Worth the prep time."
"A real pain in the arse to make, but you (and everybody else) will love it. It feeds at least 20 people. REALLY BIG!"
"I picked this recipe to make for a potluck and had to rely on my husband to prepare it. It was easy enough for him to put together AND was a real crowd pleaser. It tasted delicious and looked pretty in my serving dish as well. I will definitely be making this again!"
"Everyone loves this dish. I add 1/2 lb. cooked grnd beef + 1/2 lb. cooked pork sausage to the bacon layer. Try warming your serving in the microwave for about 30 seconds & you'll eat even more of it."
"I make this using the Buttery Cornbread recipe from Best of potluck by TOH. I leave out the chili's and other seasonings and cut out just the amount called for in this recipe. I also added a can of black beans and I use 1 package thawed frozen corn instead of canned. This is good stuff! My kids and husband love it. It is even better after a day or two in the fridge and the cornbread never gets soggy."
"I've been making this for years, and it's always a hit. It's week worth the time it takes to make it."
"I have made this many times over the years. It is a huge hit at pot lucks and with my family. The only reason why I don't make it more often is because of the time involved for the prep work."
"I always get rave reviews from my company on this wonderful, hearty salad! And it actually lasts for days in the refrigerator."
"This salad is always a hit no matter where I take it. I highly recommend it."
"My family has been crazy about this salad since I first made it in 2000!"
"I made this recipe again today for another church function. I brought home an empty trifle bowl! Wonderful recipe!"
"Absolutely wonderful! Combination of ingredients blends together perfectly. Handed out copies of recipe!"
"Always a great hit at my work potlucks."
"I love this salad- its so good. It makes a good amount so I normally dont get to make it unless its for a family gathering or potluck. The dish always comes back EMPTY!"
"I recently made this recipe for a church function. I made it in a trifle bowl. It was so pretty and I received many compliments on it. My trifle bowl was empty at the end of the function. I will be making this again."
"I made this salad for a family function back in 2009 and now everyone ALWAYS insists that I bring it for all occasions! My husband especially loves this salad and I make smaller amounts for us to share in between holidays. Its GREAT!!"
"I agree this is a great dish for Potlucks. I like to bring it to our Tennis Matches where it is always a hit! Many think it is a dip because a Salad usually has Lettuce! Either way it is delicious."
"This is SOO easy and fun to make and I can't forget DELICIOUS!!! I make this all the time for family gatherings and its one of the first things to go! But don't make it to ealry before serving. I made that mistake and it wasn't near as good as it is fresh! You've got to try this! Mmm :D"
"I love love love this dish. I often take it to potlucks or women's socials at the church and get asked for the recipe. It is a little time consuming (for me) with all the chopping, but well worth it."
"This is my favorite dish to take to a potluck. My family requests it every time. It's beautiful and sooo tasty!"
"August/September 1999 issue."
"What issue was this recipe in Taste Of Home"