Chili con Queso with Chips Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1. Pour both cans of tomatoes into a colander over a small bowl; drain, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Discard remaining liquid or save for another use.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add the tomatoes, process cheese, chili powder and reserved liquid. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Stir in cilantro.
- 3. Keep warm; serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 66 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 411 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.