Chili con Queso with Chips Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1. Pour both cans of tomatoes into a colander over a small bowl; drain, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Discard remaining liquid or save for another use.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add the tomatoes, process cheese, chili powder and reserved liquid. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Stir in cilantro.
- 3. Keep warm; serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup: 66 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chili con Queso with Chips
"Did not care for the cream cheese taste. Will not make again."
"Made this today to have in fridge for guests dropping by on weekend. Very delicious with a little 'twang' from cream cheese. I found that it needed all the juice from drained tomatoes. I used (2) 14 oz cans diced and added one small can of green chilis. Also at end, I had on hand ground chicken I had cooked earlier and added it to recipe giving it bulk and protein. I tasted it prior to adding meat to give an honest review. Will definitely make this again for superbowl party and other events. It was still quite thick adding all the tomato juice, so thinning some with more tomato juice is an option. Again, very good, hearty, tasty dip for 2 grams of fat."
"This is an awesome dip! I've made it a few times and there is never any left. I serve it with hot pretzels and tortilla chips. Definitely give it a try, it will not disappoint. Plus it is super easy!"
"This is great. Can't stop eating it.These get bad reviews when people give a review and don't click on the stars or hit yes or no for if they will make again. Read the instructions people."
"Really good and you don't have to feel guilty eating it."
"I THOUGHT HTIS RECIPE WAS GREAT. I DON'T KNOW WHY IT GOT SUCH A BAD RATING. I COULDN'T STO EATING IT. I MADE IT FOR COWORKERS AND THEY ALL WANTED THE RECIPE. I DID ADJUST THE chili POWDER AND CILANTRO TO MY TASTE."