- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Spread half the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in hot dogs; saute 3-4 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Stir in the chili, brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder; heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- Spoon over corn bread batter; top with remaining corn bread batter. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
Sort By :
"Wonderful! A bit too dry; my oven bakes hot, so try baking at 340 degrees for 28 minutes, or add a little beef broth to the chili. I skipped the veggies for fussy hubby.I used Trader Joe's cornbread mix, their beef chili & uncured beef franks, also 1 1/2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar. Excellent for a first try!"
"I thought it was just okay. I used smoked sausage instead of the hotdogs. I also took the suggestion to only put 1 Tbsp of brown sugar, still plenty sweet. Maybe it was the brand of chili (Wolfe)?? I have never used that ingrediant before."
"Really delicious. I used a 12-oz. package of hot dogs, and it was enough. 1 tablespoon of brown sugar made it plenty sweet."
"I put all the cornbread on the bottom, and it worked out great! Tasted very yummy, and is a great way to use leftover hotdogs from a grill out!"
"We LOVED this! The 2nd time I made it I doubled everything and prepared in a 9x13 pan so we could have leftovers! We think it's fabulous!!!!"