Chili Cheese Dog Casserole Recipe
Kids and dads alike will dive right into this hearty, comforting dish. With a crispy cheese topping on a warm cornbread crust, this recipe is a keeper. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Spread half the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in hot dogs; saute 3-4 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Stir in the chili, brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder; heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- 3. Spoon over corn bread batter; top with remaining corn bread batter. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 615 calories, 37 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 1,585 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC