Chili-Cheese Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, cheese and chilies. Repeat layers.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 287 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 225 mg cholesterol, 910 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.