Get ‘em out of bed on nippy fall mornings with this savory, Southwest-flavored breakfast casserole from Kathy Mead in Surprise, Arizona.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, cheese and chilies. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chili-Cheese Breakfast Bake in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p47
Reviews for Chili-Cheese Breakfast Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review