Since my husband's a Navy meteorologist, we've sampled food all over the world. I adapted this recipe from one I was given while we were stationed on the Aleutian Islands. Fresh meat was difficult to obtain in that part of Alaska, so I learned to make many meals featuring grains and legumes instead! We're looking forward to retiring soon to a small farm in central Maine. All three of our children were 4-H leader for 9 years.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- In a greased small baking dish, combine all ingredients except cheese. Top with 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chili-Cheese Bake in Country Woman January/February 1992, p31
Reviews for Chili-Cheese Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review