Chili Cheddar Penne Recipe
There's plenty of saucy, cheese flavor in Chili Cheddar Penne, from Aaron Werner of Madison, Wisconsin. Taco seasoning and canned chilies give it a zippy Southwestern flare. Make it as spicy as you like by using mild or hot chilies and regular or spicy taco seasoning. Make this dish as spicy as you like by using mild or hot chilies, as well as regular or spicy taco seasoning. Save the rest of the taco seasoning packet to use for another dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- Sliced avocado, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the cheese, taco seasoning and salt. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Drain pasta; stir into cheese sauce. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. Stir in the corn, tomatoes and chilies just until combined. Garnish with avocado if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC