Chili Beef Stew
“Given to me by my mother, this spicy stew became a favorite with my own five children,” writes Evelyn Bullington from Temple City, California. We've pared it down for a twosome.
Tip: Leftover beef broth can be frozen for a future use.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil on all sides. Remove and set
- aside. In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper until tender.
- Return meat to the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, parsley, chili powder, garlic, cumin and
- pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to
- 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in beans; heat through. Yield:
- 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 318 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 398 mg sodium,