Chili Beef Pasta
Right after I got married, my aunt gave me her recipe for skillet spaghetti and told me it was ideal for a quick weeknight meal. Over the years I’ve tinkered with the ingredients and played with the seasonings to make it a healthier dish and one my family truly loves. —Kristen Killian, Depew, New York
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- Chopped tomatoes and minced fresh oregano, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no
- longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in seasonings.
- Add tomato juice, water, tomato paste and sugar to pan; bring to a
- boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-22 minutes or
- until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with
- tomatoes and oregano. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 319 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium,