Chili Beef Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat small pasta shell- or spiral-shaped pasta
- Grape tomatoes and sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in seasonings.
- 2. Add tomato juice, water, tomato paste and sugar to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-22 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with tomatoes and jalapeno slices. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 319 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Chili Beef Pasta
"Did I make the same recipe as everyone else? I couldn't even salvage this; it went straight down to the dumpster. This tasted like tomato juice soup with pasta and ground beef. I had used V-8 juice instead and added A LOT more spices and it still tasted like nothing but tomato juice."
"This is good, somewhat on the soupy side. I added more salt and granulated garlic for more flavor. It would've been OK even without the extra seasoning. Makes a good one pot meal which saves on dishes that have to be washed after supper. Thumbs up on that!"
"This was wonderful, I just added some mushrooms!! GREAT!!"
"Another great one pot recipe. I love one pot meals when it's been a busy day and your running behind. This one is so simply and great tasteing too."
"Used ground chicken this time. Added more seasoning along with a can of Bush hot chili beans"
"I also added extra seasoning and some mini pepperoni."
"This recipe didn't have a lot of flavor to me and we have fairly bland things here because I have to cook for someone who can have very little sodium. I did leave out the salt and used tomatoes with no salt added for about everything that was a tomato product. However, I added Mrs. Dash original to replace the salt and I did add 3 or 4 drops of hot sauce. Truth is, the person who said earlier that it was just as easy to use their own leftover chili and add pasta is who I agree with."
"I added a little extra salt and fresh ground pepper. Everyone loved it! Thanks!"
"I wanted this to be so good, but ultimately, it was only average in taste. I prefer my favorite chili recipe over this and I can always add pasta to that if I want it. It was easy to prepare, but just didn't pack much punch."
"This type of meal is always a favorite around my house. I used V8 Hot & Spicy instead of tomato juice, and I added a can of dark red kidney beans, and a bit of cumin... Yum."
"This is definitely a crowd pleaser. 7 of my 12 grandchildren sat down to the table and they all loved it. I might use the Hot Mexican chili powder the next time if I'll have more adults sitting at the table. But this was perfect for EVERYONE and it's not often that I can get them all to agree on a single meal. Thank YOU!"