This recipe is my potluck standby, and I also make it whenever I have a friend who needs an authentic home-cooked meal. —Lorraine Espenhain, Corpus Christi, TX
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in cornstarch, onion, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir in tomato sauce. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil until blended; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture. Spread remaining batter over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread portion comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014
Reviews for Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review