Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole Recipe
This recipe is my potluck standby, and I also make it whenever I have a friend who needs an authentic home-cooked meal. —Lorraine Espenhain, Corpus Christi, TX
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in cornstarch, onion, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir in tomato sauce. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil until blended; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- 3. Spread half of the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture. Spread remaining batter over filling.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread portion comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without sour cream and salsa) equals 482 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 773 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC