Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in cornstarch, onion, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir in tomato sauce. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil until blended; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- 3. Spread half of the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture. Spread remaining batter over filling.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread portion comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without sour cream and salsa): 482 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein .
Reviews for Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole
"It was ok."
"I followed this recipe except added chopped onions to the beef. It was just okay. It needs something to add more flavor. Maybe chili beans instead of plain tomato sauce. It is a good basic recipe. If you do make it I strongly recommend jazzing it up a bit. It has room for improvement. I also needed to bake it for about 45 minutes because at 30 the middle wasn't cooked all the way. It tasted good with sour cream on top."
"Enjoyed this casserole. Will make again. The only thing I did differently was to use real onion and garlic... Otherwise made as per recipe..... Will make again."
"This was great! I cut the tomato sauce in half and added a can of chili beans with sauce. I think next time I'll leave the cheese out of the corn bread and add green chiles for flavor. I may also swap honey for sugar. I didn't have creamed corn so I added whole kernel corn with some corn juice and it worked fine. I did bake longer than directed, almost 45 minutes, until the bread was nicely browned on top. Looking forward to sharing this recipe!"
"My family did not care for this casserole. It was mushy and too sweet. Just ok."
"I used whole kernel corn as I did not have creamed corn. To add creaminess to the cornbread in absence of the creamed corn I added about 1/3 c sour cream to the cornbread. For those that like it spicy you might want to add chilis or cumin."
"It was just ok, I added a can of chopped green chiles to the meat, but think it needed something more....maybe the jalapenos"
"This is a great casserole, simple and easy to make. I tweaked it to lower salt content by using no salt tomatoes instead of sauce. Also added Jalapenos for a little heat. Everyone loved it."