Chili Bake Recipe
Instead of simmering on the stovetop, this chill bakes in the oven. When my family smells this baking, they run to the kitchen to ask, "is it ready yet?" - Helen Gabraith, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cook the beef, onion and green pepper in drippings over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; add the remaining ingredients. Stir in bacon; mix well.
- 2. Transfer to an ovenproof Dutch oven or greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until thick and bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 each) equals 321 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 811 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC