Instead of simmering on the stovetop, this chill bakes in the oven. When my family smells this baking, they run to the kitchen to ask, "is it ready yet?" - Helen Gabraith, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Recommended: 75 Winning Recipes For Your Super Bowl Potluck
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cook the beef, onion and green pepper in drippings over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; add the remaining ingredients. Stir in bacon; mix well.
- Transfer to an ovenproof Dutch oven or greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until thick and bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Baked Chili in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p126
Reviews for Chili Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2011