Chili 'n' Cheese Grits Recipe
Although I live in a big city, I'm really a country cook. Most of our friends laugh about eating grits, but there's never any leftovers from this recipe. —Rosemary West, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grits
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil. Add grits; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot grits into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- 3. Add 3/4 cup cheese, butter, chilies and salt. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 228 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC