Don’t you just love it when you find a holiday recipe that can be folded into the everyday repertoire? This strata, layered with sourdough, cheddar and savory ham, is egg-cellent for Easter but just as wonderful for any other brunch! —Theresa Kreyche, Tustin, California
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
- 6 slices sourdough bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Remove and discard crust from bread if desired. Butter bread; cube and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-3/4 cups cheese, ham, chilies, onion and cilantro.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, cumin and mustard in a large bowl. Pour over bread mixture; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chili & Cheese Ham Strata in Simple & Delicious February/March 2013, p41
Reviews for Chili & Cheese Ham Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2016
"Yummy. Smells delicious. Make again."
Reviewed Oct. 30, 2013
"I would like to know how you curl and cooked the bacon Oh the Strata Recipe is great easy and good"