Chile Relleno Casserole Recipe
- 7 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. Split chilies lengthwise; rinse and remove seeds. Drain on paper towels; pat dry. Stuff chilies with cheese strips. Place half of chilies in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth; pour over chilies. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 311 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 603mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Chile Relleno Casserole
"It was cheesy good. Put some salsa on top of it to spice it up"
"This was very comparable to the chiles rellenos that I always get when we go out to eat Mexican food, which is one of my favorite things to order. Also very easy to make. Made the recipe as is and I wouldn't change a thing."
"Families favorite have made it many times. Only change I made was using pepper jack cheese. Thanks for a wonderful recipe."
"I made this for my husband; his favorite dish to get when we eat at our local Mexican food joint. He likes them the way the restaurants make them so of course I tweeked this recipe. I couldn't find canned peppers in my area; so I used 6 fresh ones. I removed the seeds and did not split them in half. I also filled them with seasoned ground beef and a cube of the Monterey Jack Cheese. Baked the dish for about 10 more minutes than the original called for; until the peppers became tender, easy to put a knife through. I served it with a tomato salsa and the husband went back for 2nds!"
"My picky husband loved this and so did my daughter's family. This one's a keeper!"
"This was just an "okay" recipe for our household. Good enough to eat but not good enough to make again."
"Loved it! I always get the chiles relleno when we go out, and this was just as tasty!"
"This was so good and easy! I only used Monterey Jack cheese (like it better than cheddar), and it was great."
"This was a very easy recipe to make and was very delicious. We love mexican food and my family loved it. I would definitely make it again."
"My family raved about it! It was easy,tasty, and rated a 10 on my 1-10 scale. Served it with part of my Mexican Buffet. Robin, Colorado Springs, CO"