- 7 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Split chilies lengthwise; rinse and remove seeds. Drain on paper towels; pat dry. Stuff chilies with cheese strips. Place half of chilies in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth; pour over chilies. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chile Relleno Casserole
"It was cheesy good. Put some salsa on top of it to spice it up"
"This was a great meal. I added ground turkey that I seasoned with garlic, chopped onions, red pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Also, I used fresh Anaheim peppers. I served with layered Mexican salad. The family loved it."
"This was very comparable to the chiles rellenos that I always get when we go out to eat Mexican food, which is one of my favorite things to order. Also very easy to make. Made the recipe as is and I wouldn't change a thing."
"Just made this and DEVOURED it. SOooo yummy. It really doesn't need any tweaks to be yummy, it stands on it's own. You could ass some chicken or beef or shrimp if you like and it would be good too."
"Families favorite have made it many times. Only change I made was using pepper jack cheese. Thanks for a wonderful recipe."