“A friend gave me this easy take on a traditional Mexican favorite about 35 years ago. I’m often asked to bring it to potlucks.” —Maggie Owen, Oceanside, California
- 7 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Split chilies lengthwise; rinse and remove seeds. Drain on paper towels; pat dry. Stuff chilies with cheese strips. Place half of chilies in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth; pour over chilies. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chile Relleno Casserole in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p33
Reviews for Chile Relleno Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review