Chile Relleno Casserole Recipe
- 7 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Split chilies lengthwise; rinse and remove seeds. Drain on paper towels; pat dry. Stuff chilies with cheese strips. Place half of chilies in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth; pour over chilies. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chile Relleno Casserole(10)
Sort By :
This was very comparable to the chiles rellenos that I always get when we go out to eat Mexican food, which is one of my favorite things to order. Also very easy to make. Made the recipe as is and I wouldn't change a thing.
Just made this and DEVOURED it. SOooo yummy. It really doesn't need any tweaks to be yummy, it stands on it's own. You could ass some chicken or beef or shrimp if you like and it would be good too.
Families favorite have made it many times. Only change I made was using pepper jack cheese. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
I made this for my husband; his favorite dish to get when we eat at our local Mexican food joint. He likes them the way the restaurants make them so of course I tweeked this recipe. I couldn't find canned peppers in my area; so I used 6 fresh ones. I removed the seeds and did not split them in half. I also filled them with seasoned ground beef and a cube of the Monterey Jack Cheese. Baked the dish for about 10 more minutes than the original called for; until the peppers became tender, easy to put a knife through. I served it with a tomato salsa and the husband went back for 2nds!
My picky husband loved this and so did my daughter's family. This one's a keeper!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >