Chickpea-Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 18 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 egg whites
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (28 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, place the chickpeas and egg whites in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add the ricotta, parsley, Parmesan, onion and garlic; cover and process until well blended. Pour 1-1/4 cups of spaghetti sauce into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. Drain pasta shells; stuff with chickpea mixture. Place over sauce. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3 stuffed shells) equals 508 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 1,066 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.