Chickpea-Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 18 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 egg whites
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (28 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, place the chickpeas and egg whites in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add the ricotta, parsley, Parmesan, onion and garlic; cover and process until well blended. Pour 1-1/4 cups of spaghetti sauce into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. Drain pasta shells; stuff with chickpea mixture. Place over sauce. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
3 each: 508 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 1066mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein .
Reviews for Chickpea-Stuffed Shells
"Very tasty. You don't know there are any chickpeas in the dish at all. I made the recipe exactly as written except I added two garlic cloves instead of one since I really like garlic. Very good recipe! Thanks for sharing."
"These were absolutely delicious. I only used half of a container of ricotta, I made a simple fresh tomato sauce and left off the mozzarella cheese. Just delicious, they were not dry like another reviewer said. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one!!!"
"We found these to be rather dry. I'll buy more sauce to fix the leftovers, but hubby said don't make them again."
"These were great. I love hiding the fact you get fiber with a dish that usually is so bad for you. I wonder if it would work as the cheesy layer for lasagna? That's next."
"I've made these 2x now and my kids still don't know about the chickpeas - love that they are getting more fiber while loving what they eat!"
"This sounds good, I'll have to try it!"
"I really enjoyed these stuffed shells. The addition of the chickpeas adds a nice flavor and texture, plus they're good for you. I will note that my food processor--a regular-sized Cuisinart--was a little small for the amount stuff I put in it. It was filled to the brim by the time I had added everything. Also, stuffing the shells is a messy process. But the end result was delicious!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.