Chickpea Sandwich Spread Recipe
- 1/2 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 7 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups fresh torn spinach
- 7 tomato slices, halved
- 1. In a blender, combine the pickle relish, mayonnaise, pickle juice and mustard. Add one can of chickpeas; cover and process until smooth. Gradually add remaining can of chickpeas; blend until smooth.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in celery and carrot. Line pita bread with spinach leaves and tomato slices. Place about 1/2 cup chickpea mixture in each pita half. Yield: 7 servings.
2 filled pita halves equals 293 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat.