Chickpea Potpies Recipe
My family loves potpies, and with this recipe, no one—not even my carnivores—misses the meat. Hungry teens and adults gobble them up! —Annette Woofenden Middleboro, MA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1. Saute onion in butter in a large saucepan until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the vegetables, garbanzo beans, potatoes, cream and Italian seasoning. Divide mixture among four ungreased 10-oz. ramekins.
- 3. Unroll pastry; divide into four portions. Roll out each portion to fit ramekins; place pastry over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC