- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- Saute onion in butter in a large saucepan until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the vegetables, garbanzo beans, potatoes, cream and Italian seasoning. Divide mixture among four ungreased 10-oz. ramekins.
- Unroll pastry; divide into four portions. Roll out each portion to fit ramekins; place pastry over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Chickpea Potpies
Sort By :
"Have made this multiple times now. Very good recipe even for non-vegetarians; I have 2 vegetarians and two carnivores, and dinners can be tricky. This worked for everyone, and can even be made in the crockpot with the sauce thickened on the stove. A crust of your choice can be baked separately, tho we often do this without a crust and serve over egg noodles."
"This got rave reviews from my just turned vegetarian grandson. Didn't have pie crust so I used crescent rolls on top, no hash browns so I subbed with a diced potato partially cooked. Thanks for the recipe. Will def make again!!"
"My husband and I really liked this! I made my own piecrust and used a 9x13 pan. I also baked it at 350 for 1 hour because my vegetables and potatoes were still partially frozen. The only change I think I might make next time is to use chicken broth for a little more flavor."
"I just made this for dinner, really good. This is one I'm going to make again. Even my hubby loved it. We're always looking for new recipes. this one was great for a Saturday dinner."