Chickpea 'n' Red Onion Burgers Recipe
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fat-free red wine vinaigrette
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ or dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix onion and vinaigrette. Place chickpeas, walnuts, wheat germ and parsley in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add eggs, curry and pepper; process until smooth.
- 2. Shape into six patties. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard; spread over cut sides of buns. Serve patties on buns with lettuce, basil and onion mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 386 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 732 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.