I make chana masala, the classic Indian dish, in my slow cooker. Browning the onion, ginger and garlic first really makes the sauce amazing. —Anjana Devasahayam, San Antonio, Texas
Featured In: 14 Sheet Pan Supper Recipes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickepeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice
- Sliced red onion, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 2-4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and dry seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in chickpeas, potato and stock. Cook, covered, on low until potato is tender and flavors are blended, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in lime juice; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with rice and, if desired, red onion and lime wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chickpea & Potato Curry in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Reviews for Chickpea & Potato Curry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review