I often take a not-so-healthy dish and create something good for my family. My young twins love colorful meals they can eat with their hands, and this one fits the bill. —Amber Massey, Argyle, Texas
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir red pepper and onion over medium heat until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, chickpeas, chipotles, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Mash mixture coarsely with a potato masher; stir in cilantro and lime juice. If desired, cook over low heat to thicken, stirring frequently.
- For sauce, mix sour cream and salsa; set aside. In batches, spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet; broil 4-5 in. from heat until crisp and lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. To serve, top with chickpea mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chickpea & Chipotle Tostadas in Taste of Home September/October 2016, p26
Reviews for Chickpea & Chipotle Tostadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2017
"The men of the family weren't interested in this dish and the ladies didn't go back for seconds. So I suppose, in our family, this recipe wasn't a favorite. Always fun to experiment on new recipes anyway!"