- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add shallot to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Add cream, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook until slightly thickened. Stir in 2 teaspoons tarragon, lemon juice and remaining salt. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with remaining tarragon. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Tarragon Sauce
"Doubled recipe for a dinner party- was excellent. Added chopped shiitake mushrooms and a bit of white wine with the shallots. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!"
"Tarragon is the herb in b?arnaise sauce, and I love b?arnaise, so I loved this recipe! I had never pounded chicken breasts before, but it made such a difference in the texture of the meat and how evenly they cooked, I will never NOT pound them again. I made this almost exactly as written except I omitted the shallot altogether, used dried tarragon instead of fresh, and used the whole half pint container of whipping cream (1 cup) rather than just 3/4 of it. This recipe was so easy and so delicious, I will make it forever. Definitely one of my all time favorite recipes of any kind!"
"My husband and I really liked this. I used half and half instead of whipping cream and green onion instead of shallots. The second time I made it I didn't have any half and half so I used sour cream. That was even better."
"I made this recipe exactly as written except I used 2 green onions (scallions) in place of the shallot. My family kept saying how good it was. It was so quick and easy to prepare. Definitely a keeper!"
"I added garlic to the recipe and I wanted , more gavey other than that great recipe"