- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add shallot to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Add cream, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook until slightly thickened. Stir in 2 teaspoons tarragon, lemon juice and remaining salt. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with remaining tarragon. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Tarragon Sauce
"We loved the sauce on the chicken. That was the flavor part!! I'll be making this again."
"We absolutely loved this dinner. It turned out great! I like trying new recipies, but it's a gamble, most of the time they turn out but sometimes not. This is one for my recipe box for sure."
"I'm a little behind in reviewing this fantastic recipe. I doubled the recipe also and added the mushrooms and wine as suggested in a review. I also sliced the chicken breasts into strips...cooks faster and I know it's cooked completely. I served it over a multi-grain rice blend and saut?ed spinach in garlic oil. Next time I am going to use half Greek yogurt and half cream. Easy and wonderfully delicious."
"Doubled recipe for a dinner party- was excellent. Added chopped shiitake mushrooms and a bit of white wine with the shallots. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!"
"Tarragon is the herb in b?arnaise sauce, and I love b?arnaise, so I loved this recipe! I had never pounded chicken breasts before, but it made such a difference in the texture of the meat and how evenly they cooked, I will never NOT pound them again. I made this almost exactly as written except I omitted the shallot altogether, used dried tarragon instead of fresh, and used the whole half pint container of whipping cream (1 cup) rather than just 3/4 of it. This recipe was so easy and so delicious, I will make it forever. Definitely one of my all time favorite recipes of any kind!"
"My husband and I really liked this. I used half and half instead of whipping cream and green onion instead of shallots. The second time I made it I didn't have any half and half so I used sour cream. That was even better."
"I made this recipe exactly as written except I used 2 green onions (scallions) in place of the shallot. My family kept saying how good it was. It was so quick and easy to prepare. Definitely a keeper!"
"I added garlic to the recipe and I wanted , more gavey other than that great recipe"
"This was soooo simple and soooo good. A great midweek meal. Next time I will be using dill instead of tarragon."
"This dish is delicious! Will make this many time over."