Chicken with Spicy Fruit
This speedy stovetop entree is special enough to serve company, yet easy enough for everyday. The moist chicken gets wonderful flavor from a sweet sauce made with strawberry jam, dried cranberries and pineapple juice. I like to serve it with rice pilaf, peas, a garden salad and cloverleaf rolls.
-Kathy Rairigh, Milford, Indiana
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup strawberry spreadable fruit
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, combine the pineapple juice, cranberries, garlic
- and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches
- 170°. Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil; cook for 5-7 minutes or until liquid
- is reduced to 3/4 cup. Combine spreadable fruit and cornstarch until
- blended; add to the skillet. Boil and stir for 1 minute or until
- thickened. Spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 248 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit.