Chicken with Slippery Dumplings Recipe
- 1 stewing chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Place chicken, celery and onion in a Dutch oven. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and keep warm. Skim fat from the pan juices; add water to measure 3 qts. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for dumplings; cool. Return remaining broth to the Dutch oven; add carrots and bouillon.
- 2. For dumplings, combine flour, salt if desired and baking powder. Add enough reserved broth to form a stiff dough. Divide dough into thirds; cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer. Roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 2-in. squares. Drop one at a time into simmering broth. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately with the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon and without salt) equals 414 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chicken with Slippery Dumplings
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.